History of IDT Biologika

The more than 95-year history of today’s IDT Biologika began with the founding of the Bakteriologisches Institut der Anhaltischen Kreise on July 1, 1921 in Dessau. Today the company is an innovative life science company with extensive expertise in biologics for the global protection of human and animal health.

1921

The company‘s roots reach back to the “Bakteriologisches Institut der Anhaltischen Kreise” founded in Dessau.

1925

Commercial production began in 1925 with the manufacture of swine erysipelas vaccines.

1930

Rising demand for industrial production of sera for passive immunization of humans and animals led to the foundation of the “Anhaltisches Serum Institut Dessau GmbH” (ASID).

1945

Production of vaccines and diagnostic agents to combat infectious diseases in the newly formed “Forschungsinstitut für Impfstoffe”.

1960

Government programs to prevent and treat animal infectious diseases shaped the strategic direction towards research and production.

1980

Production capacities for human medicines were spun off. The company was renamed “VEB Impfstoffwerk Dessau-Tornau”.

1993

The entrepreneur Hartmut Klocke privatized the corporation as “Impfstoffwerk Dessau-Tornau GmbH”.

Today

IDT Biologika: Technology and manufacturing for breakthrough biologics supporting human and animal health worldwide.